Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Adventures in the Philippines: Butuan City, Agusan Del Norte

June 2013

After the amazing trip I had with my new found friends in Surigao del Sur, I had one day left to be spent in Butuan City. People say there's not a lot places to see in this city, that's why I'm writing this post  - to let you know what this city has to offer.

I hired a tricycle (with a driver of course) for 500 pesos for this half day trip around the city.


1. Bequibel Shell Midden - This is where ancient people (7000 years ago) gather their thrash. Archeologists also found stone tools, ecofacts (pig and deer bones) as well as human skeletons. This site is free but you can donate money to the people maintaining the site.







2. The Banza Church Ruins -  the oldest stone church ruin in Mindanao. The photos below are the topmost part of the church. Where's the rest of the church? It's below the ground now. There's a little hole in the tree behind it though and the guide said the church was below that tree.





3. Museums - Unfortunately all of the museums like National Museum and Balangay shrine were closed that day for some reason. :(



Here's a photo of me and my guide



Where to stay in Butuan City? I stayed at Juliann's Inn. For approximately 400 pesos (forgive me, I can't remember how much exactly) I had this small airconditioned room (with shared bathroom). I did not pre-book but I just went there directly.



In front of the Inn is where the 'reception' is where you are supposed to pay and get your keys. This place also turns into a bar at night.













No comments:

Post a Comment